Here are ten top tips for boosting your immune system – the best defence for colds and flu.
1. Eat lightly, relying mainly on fruit and vegetables. Include plenty of foods rich in vitamins A and C, such as citrus fruit, dark blue and red berries, mangoes, apricots, carrots, beetroot, green peppers and greens.
2. Avoid sugar, and mucous forming and fatty foods such as dairy, excess bananas, meat and white flour products (bread, pasta, etc.)
3. When you’re below par, avoid stimulants such as coffee and alcohol. These all increase stress, which can depress your immune system.
4. Drink at least 8 large glasses of water per day. One way to remind yourself is to have a 1½ or 2 litre bottle of still mineral water always with you, and finish the bottle before the end of the day. It’s useful to decant some into a small water bottle to carry around with you.
5. Make sure you get optimum levels of vitamins and minerals every day by taking a good quality multi-supplement with your breakfast.
6. Vitamin C helps maintain a strong immune system. Most animals make their own vitamin C in large amounts when they’re ill, but humans are unable to make vitamin C. Take extra amounts when you are surrounded by colds and flu (2-4 grams per day at least).
7. Herbal supplements such as Echinacea, Olive Leaf Extract and Cat’s Claw are particularly helpful for maximising immune function.
8. Colostrum is especially beneficial for prevention and cure of colds and flu, as well as being helpful for allergies, digestion. Also good and safe for babies and children.
9. Get plenty of fresh air and breathe deeply. This helps the lymphatic system to move your protective immune cells around the body.
10. Get enough relaxation, rest and sleep. It’s during sleep that your body repairs itself.